LOS ANGELES: Police investigating a mass shooting in a California city center that left six dead and 12 wounded said Monday they have arrested a man in connection with America’s latest bout of fatal gun violence. More than 100 shell casings were recovered after a gun battle apparently erupted following a fight in downtown Sacramento, as nightclubs were emptying around 2:00 am Sunday.
Police have given no information as to whether anyone was targeted, in the worst such incident in the city’s history, or if the shooters were firing indiscriminately. Detectives worked through the night combing a spread-out crime scene, and on Monday announced the arrest of 26-year-old Dandre Martin.
SWAT teams swooped on three other addresses, with at least one handgun recovered. Video circulating on social media appeared to show some kind of brawl, followed by the sounds of gunfire and people running. Police Chief Kathy Lester told reporters that officers on patrol nearby had been alerted by the sound of gunshots, and arrived to find a large crowd and multiple victims.
Video footage of the immediate aftermath showed first responders tending to bloodied victims. The bodies of the dead lay nearby. Three of those who died were women. All six have now been identified. “It was just horrific,” said community activist Berry Accius, who arrived minutes after the shooting. – AFP