DUBAI: Iran is trying to analyze the black boxes of a Ukrainian airliner that its military shot down this month, the state IRNA news agency reported yesterday, denying a report that a decision had been taken to send the plane’s recorders to Ukraine. All 176 people on board the plane were killed in the Jan 8 crash. Canada, which had 57 citizens on board, and other countries that lost nationals have said the flight data and voice recorders should be analysed abroad.
The plane disaster has heightened international pressure on Iran as it grapples with a long-running dispute with the United States over its nuclear program and its influence in the region that briefly erupted into open conflict this month. The military has said it downed Ukraine International Airlines flight 752 in error in the aftermath of tit-for-tat strikes by the United States and Iran. But authorities delayed admitting this, prompting days of protests on Iran’s streets.
“We are trying to read the black boxes here in Iran. Otherwise, our options are Ukraine and France, but no decision has been taken so far to send them to another country,” Hassan Rezaifar, a director in charge of accident investigations at Iran’s Civil Aviation Organization, told IRNA. Rezaifar had been quoted by Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency on Saturday as saying the black boxes could not be decoded in Iran and would be sent to Ukraine after Kiev’s repeated requests. IRNA also reported yesterday that the official had made similar comments a day earlier.
It was not immediately clear what prompted Rezaifar to backtrack. The Boeing 737-800 was en route from Tehran to the Ukrainian capital. Most of those on board were Iranians or dual nationals. Ukraine has previously said it expected the recorders to be handed over, while Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said France was one of the few countries with the ability to read information on the recorders. France’s air accident agency BEA said on Saturday it was awaiting an official request for assistance.
The bodies of 11 Ukrainian victims were brought home yesterday in a ceremony at Kiev airport. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko said that “bereaved families and the whole nation have an opportunity to pay their respects”. The plane was brought down when the military was on high alert in the tense hours after Iran launched missiles at US targets in Iraq in response to the killing of a top Iranian commander in a US drone strike on Jan 3 in Baghdad.
Around a thousand people including President Volodymyr Zelensky bid farewell to the victims. Zelensky laid flowers on the flag-draped coffins of the 11 Ukrainian victims – nine flight crew and two passengers – during the solemn ceremony at Kiev’s Boryspil airport and briefly spoke to their relatives.
The caskets were to remain for several hours at the terminal so that relatives, Ukraine International Airlines staff and ordinary Ukrainians could say their last goodbyes. The funerals are expected to be held today. Earlier yesterday, the black-clad Ukrainian leader, Prime Minister Oleksiy Goncharuk and top officials stood on the tarmac outside the terminal to see the caskets with the remains of the downed plane’s nine Ukrainian flight crew and two passengers being removed from the aircraft.
Ukraine International Airlines staff, some in tears, stood nearby clutching flowers. The airline staff and relatives formed two lines to make a corridor through which the honour guard carried the caskets draped in the yellow-and-blue flag of Ukraine. Some men fell to one knee to honor the victims. The honor guard also held flags of the countries whose citizens perished in the crash.
“Deep condolences to the relatives and eternal memory to the victims,” Oleksiy Danilov, secretary of Ukraine’s Security Council, said on Facebook. “Our work will not end until the full clarification of the circumstances of the tragedy and the punishment of the guilty,” he added. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Vadym Prysta?ko said on Twitter he was “deeply grateful for the messages of condolence & solidarity that we have received from around the world.”
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has called the downing an “unforgivable error” and promised to hold those responsible to account. The Revolutionary Guards also issued profuse apologies, as protesters raged against the Guards, an elite military force that was set up to protect the clerical system. The Islamic Republic’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said on Friday that “some tried to use it as an excuse to overshadow the martyrdom of our great commander” Qassem Soleimani, the powerful general killed in the US strike.
The death of Soleimani, portrayed as a national hero at home but viewed as a dangerous enemy in the West, led to huge mourning ceremonies in Iran, followed just a few days later by angry protests and chants of “Death to Khamenei” over the plane disaster. Tension between Tehran and Washington has escalated since 2018, when the United States withdrew from Iran’s nuclear pact with world powers and reimposed sanctions.
Tehran reduced its commitments to the 2015 pact, under which Iran agreed to scale back nuclear work in return for sanctions relief. European states triggered a dispute mechanism last week over the violations, a step that could lead to UN sanctions. Parliament speaker Ali Larijani said Iran would review its cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, should it face “unjust” measures. – Agencies