KUWAIT: Kuwait’s Ministry of Health said Wednesday 703 people tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 24 hours to increase registered cases to 56,877. Ministry spokesman Dr Abdullah Al-Sanad said three persons died of the virus, raising the total number of fatalities to 399. He added the new cases were of people who came into close contact with infected persons. Dr Sanad said 434 of the new cases were Kuwaiti citizens (61.7 percent), and 269 non-Kuwaitis (38.3 percent).
Dr Sanad said the cases were recorded in health districts as follows: 216 in Al-Ahmadi, 180 in Al-Jahra, 159 in Farwaniya, 97 in Hawally and 51 in the Capital. Per residential areas, Saad Al-Abdullah recorded the largest number of infections in the past 24 hours with 33, followed by Sabahiya and Ardiya with 31 each, Oyoun with 30, and lastly Salmiya and Taima with 25 each, Sanad said. The number of cases undergoing treatment at intensive care units reached 146, with the total count of cases that continued to get medical care amounting to 9,581. A total of 87 patients were discharged from quarantines, however they would sequester themselves at their houses for 14 days.
Dr Sanad revealed that more than 4,041 swab tests for the virus were conducted during the past 24 hours, thus the tally of these examinations exceeded 445,184 since breakout of the contagion in the country. He appealed, anew, upon citizens and expatriates to continue taking necessary precautions against the infectious disease, be keen on maintaining social distancing and examining online accounts of relevant authorities to remain acquainted with latest directions in this respect. The Ministry of Health announced earlier that 736 persons recovered from the coronavirus in the past 24 hours, with the overall count of the recuperated amounting to 46,897. – KUNA