FootballSportsTop Stories

Mane double helps Liverpool beat Spurs

Liverpool’s German-born Cameroonian defender Joel Matip (L) vies with Tottenham Hotspur’s Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on February 11, 2017. – AFP

LIVERPOOL: Sadio Mane scored two goals inside two first-half minutes as Liverpool ended its winless start to 2017 by beating title-chasing Tottenham 2-0 in a ruthless display in the English Premier League yesterday.

Spurs were looking to trim the gap to first-place Chelsea to six points, but were outplayed at Anfield in the face of Liverpool’s relentless pressing game.

Mane raced through the middle to lift home a well-taken finish in the 16th minute and was celebrating again in the 18th after driving a rising shot into the net from close range. They were his first goals since returning from the African Cup of Nations at the end of January.

Liverpool hadn’t won any of its first five league games this year, virtually ending its hopes of capturing a first title since 1990, but this was an encouraging return to form against a rival for a top-four finish.

The Reds climbed to fourth ahead of Manchester City, which plays Bournemouth tomorrow. Tottenham started the weekend as Chelsea’s nearest challenger. Yet this was a demoralizing loss – only its third all season in the league – and it could have been much worse, with Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet barely troubled.
Liverpool’s slump in form coincided with Mane’s departure to the African Cup with Senegal, with the team missing his energy and exuberance out wide.

His return could be the catalyst for a renewed tilt at the Champions League qualification places for Liverpool. Spurs simply couldn’t live with him here.
Mane’s first goal came courtesy of a pinpoint through-ball by Georginio Wijnaldum, after Liverpool forced a turnover and then created space in central midfield with a neat one-two between Wijnaldum and Roberto Firmino. Mane outpaced Ben Davies to latch onto the pass and showed composure to lift his finish beyond Hugo Lloris from inside the area.

Home celebrations had barely died down when Tottenham’s midfield was again picked off, Mane led a counterattack, Firmino had a shot saved, and Mane slammed the rebound high into the net from eight meters.
Mane was in relentless mood, shooting just wide and then forcing a superb low save out of Lloris.

Spurs were being suffocated and the halftime whistle came as a relief, as Liverpool should have been further ahead especially when Philippe Coutinho had a clear sight on goal and shot at Lloris.

Liverpool maintained its standard – and breathtaking levels of pressing – in the second half as tempers frayed, with even striker Harry Kane getting booked for an ugly lunge on Nathaniel Clyne.
Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp lived and breathed every action in his inimitable style in the technical area and he warmly embraced each of his players after the final whistle. – AP

Martial makes point as Man Utd close on City


Manchester United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic, right, in action during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester United and Watford, at Old Trafford, in Manchester, England, Saturday, Feb. 11, 2017. -AP

MANCHESTER: Juan Mata and Anthony Martial helped Manchester United extend their brilliant Premier League form as they outclassed Watford in a comfortable 2-0 victory at Old Trafford yesterday.

Jose Mourinho may have a reputation as a defensive manager, but that accusation could not be made during this contest as United were wonderfully entertaining from start to finish.
With an attack containing Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrikh Mkhitayran and both goalscorers, United had class to spare and Walter Mazzarri’s Watford had no real answers.

Mourinho will be particularly pleased with the return to form of Martial, a player who has blown hot and cold recently following speculation about his future.
United’s impressive league form has seen them go unbeaten since their humiliating 4-0 reverse at leaders Chelsea on October 23. They now trail fourth-place Manchester City by just a point ahead of their derby rivals’ trip to Bournemouth tomorrow.
Watford arrived in Manchester confident, however, after consecutive wins over Arsenal and Burnley.

United had the best of the opening moments, but clear-cut chances were a rarity early on. That was to change.

Antonio Valencia’s deflected cross fell to Ibrahimovic 12 yards out after 60 seconds, but he mishit his volley, while a jinking run from Martial had Watford worried until his shot deflected wide.
Watford were clearly up for the fight as Jose Holebas and M’Baye Niang targeted Valencia on United’s right flank and repeatedly ran through on David de Gea’s goal, but could not make it count.

After 17 minutes, Paul Pogba nearly opened the scoring with a fine effort from 25 yards that Heurelho Gomes managed to brilliantly claw away at full stretch.


United slowly turned up the tempo and had three brilliant opportunities as Watford began to sit back, a tactic that can prove fatal at Old Trafford. Firstly Ibrahimovic volleyed over following a fine ball from Pogba before the Frenchman almost scored himself, volleying Valencia’s low cross goalwards, only for Gomes to produce another smart save.

The best opportunity, though, fell to Mkhitaryan, who blasted over from Mata’s intelligent pass, much to Mourinho’s dismay. It felt like Watford’s resistance had to break and so it proved. With Mourinho imploring the home crowd to chant more loudly in support of his side, Gomes produced a stunning close-range block from Ibrahimovic before Mata broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute.
Martial ran Watford ragged down the left and his pinpoint pass gave Mata an easy tap-in from four yards out for his ninth goal of the season. Watford somehow reached half-time just a goal down, but Mourinho’s men continued where they had left off after the interval as a Martial effort just went wide of the far post 60 seconds into the second half. Martial did a little better on the hour, grabbing his side’s second goal as United twisted the knife.

In the blink of an eye, Ibrahimovic fed Martial near the halfway line and he ran through on goal, took his time and then beat Gomes at his near post through a thicket of defenders.

After the goal Watford actually improved as they chased the match and Daryl Janmaat should have halved the deficit with 20 minutes to go, only to blast wastefully over from 12 yards out. It summed up Watford’s afternoon as United closed up at the back and ran down the clock with ease. – AFP

Back to top button