Middle EastTop StoriesWorld

Russia renews heavy bombing of Aleppo

ALEPPO: Jameel Mustafa Habboush, a young Syrian boy, looks at a member of the civil defense volunteers, known as the White Helmets, as they rescue him from under the rubble of a building following Russian air strikes on the rebel-held Fardos neighborhood of this embattled Syrian city yesterday. - AFP
ALEPPO: Jameel Mustafa Habboush, a young Syrian boy, looks at a member of the civil defense volunteers, known as the White Helmets, as they rescue him from under the rubble of a building following Russian air strikes on the rebel-held Fardos neighborhood of this embattled Syrian city yesterday. – AFP

ALEPPO: Regime ally Russia carried out its heaviest strikes in days on Syria’s Aleppo yesterday, as at least five children were killed in rebel fire on a school in the war-torn country’s south. The raids killed 16 civilians, a monitor said, and caused massive damage in several residential areas of the city’s rebel-held east. Russian President Vladimir Putin meanwhile cancelled a planned trip to Paris in a row over the violence in Syria, where Moscow is helping President Bashar Al-Assad’s forces in an operation to recapture all of Aleppo.

Syria’s army announced a bid last month to retake the city, which has been divided since mid-2012. The assault began after the collapse of a short-lived truce negotiated by Washington and Moscow, and has seen the besieged east of the city come under fierce aerial assault. The army said last Wednesday it would reduce its bombardment, after days of bombing that killed hundreds and destroyed the largest remaining hospital in the rebel-held east.

But an AFP correspondent and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported renewed heavy bombing yesterday. “This is the heaviest Russian bombardment since the Syrian regime announced it would reduce the bombardment” last week, Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said. The 16 dead, among them four children, were killed in raids in the Bustan al-Qasr and Fardos neighborhoods, the Observatory said.

An AFP correspondent in Bustan al-Qasr saw a multi-storey residential building that had been destroyed, its facade sheared off in the air attack. Members of the White Helmets rescue force pulled two lifeless toddlers from the building and wrapped them in white sheets. Footage by the Aleppo Media Centre activist group showed a toddler, blood smeared across her face, lying on a hospital bed. An older man near her is wailing in pain as a team of medics bends over him, calling out instructions to the nurses.

The Britain-based Observatory – which relies on a network of sources – inside Syria for its information – says it determines what planes carried out raids according to their type, location, flight patterns and the munitions involved. Backed by Russian air raids, government forces have been advancing street by street into rebel-held parts of Aleppo.

At least 290 people, mostly civilians, have been killed by government or Russian fire since the operation began, according to the Observatory. Rebel forces were also firing on western government-held districts of Aleppo yesterday, with state news agency SANA reporting four dead and 14 wounded in rebel bombing of Hamdaniyeh district. SANA also reported an unidentified number of injuries in a mortar shell attack near the famous Umayyad mosque in the Old City of Damascus yesterday. An AFP correspondent in Damascus said later that there was intense mortar fire raining down on several neighborhoods of the capital.

Elsewhere in Syria, state media said five children were among six people killed in rebel rocket fire on a primary school in the southern city of Daraa. The Observatory also reported the deaths, saying at least 25 people were wounded and the death toll could rise because a number of the wounded were in critical condition. Rebel forces hold most of Daraa province, but the provincial capital is largely controlled by the government. The assault on Aleppo has sparked international condemnation, with fears for the fate of more than 250,000 civilians trapped inside the east of the city since the government imposed a siege in mid-July. – AFP

Back to top button